When I want to cook something really quick, I turn to my easy breezy egg recipes. Here is one such, where I saute tomatoes, onions and occasional bell pepper; add the egg and cooked rice and voila! Our meal is ready.
National Egg Coordination Committee; A committee in India which started to make sure poultry farmers got their fair share of profits, also promoted the incredible egg.
"Meri jaan meri jaan murgi ke ande....
Sunday khao Monday khao roj khayo Ande"
(Translated it means: just eat those eggs already)
made me crave for sunny side up eggs when I was a kid.
Egg lover? Browse their website for more egg recipes.
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Cost:2.5$ total: 1.5$ eggs + 2 Anaheim peppers 0.25$ + 1 tomato 0.2$+ 0.5 for onion and pantry
3/4 cup of rice
1/2 cup of diced onions
1/2 cup of diced tomatoes
1 Anaheim peppers
6 large eggs
6 tsp of milk
6 Thai green chillies
a pinch of turmeric
1/4 tsp of red chili powder
2 tbsp of chopped cilantro
2 tbsp of vegetable oil
salt to taste
- Cook the rice in a pressure cooker, takes about 15 mins
- Meanwhile prep your vegetables, finely dice onions and tomatoes and the Anaheim pepper, and slit the green chillies
- Break the eggs and beat them with a fork with 3 generous pinches of salt and the milk
- In a wok heat the oil on med heat add green chillies and saute for 30 sec
- Add the onions and Anaheim peppers, turmeric powder and chili powder; and saute for 4 mins till the onions are soft
- Add in the tomatoes and cook for 4 mins
- Add in the egg and stir till its cooked for about 4 mins, keep stirring
- Add in the cooked rice and turn the heat to med high and continue stirring for another 3 mins
- Garnish with cilantro and turn of the heat
Serve as is with a little chili garlic sauce.